Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Early to Rise: Day 27 Words do hurt

Rise time . . . 5:30
 
 
It can be amazing at times how God works with our quite time. Today my devotion was on respecting your husband with your words. To put it bluntly: Keep your mouth shut if you don't have anything nice to say. I have been reading The Proverbs 31 Woman and it has been so insightful. Today's devotion and the reading in Early to Rise had some similar points.

Those in our lives: husbands, kids, parents, siblings, friends, neighbors, and the list goes on, shouldn't hear from us words that tear us down. If we want our relationships to work we need to list the good things and focus on those. When we focus on the negative personality traits we tear that person down and destroy a relationship.

Words are so hard to repair. Once they are said you can't take them back. Focus your energy instead on what makes a person great. Why do you have a relationship with them? There is something you really like about that person. When I think of my husband it can be very easy to tell people what I don't like about him, but when I focus on the good I see that he is a very kind person. He wants to help those in need. When it comes to being a husband and dad he wants to care for us and likes to think of himself as super dad and in some ways he really is. The girls love to play with him and he knows how to make them laugh. When I start listing the good, the negative things seem to disappear.

This concept can be used in all aspects of our lives. Instead of being frustrated with all the toys on the floor be thankful you have kids to leave the toys on the floor. Instead of wishing you had less dishes, thank God for giving you a house full of love and people for you to care for. When you are cleaning the bathroom, remember that there are people that don't have nice bathrooms like yours. There are many people with holes in the ground (I've seen them and had to use them. I am very thankful for my bathroom).

As you go about your day try to take every negative and turn it into a postive. Make your day great today. Be the best friend, parent, spouse, employee that you can be. You'd be surprised at how others will respond to you. Go make this a great day!

4 comments:

  1. Bridget3/27/2013

    I truly enjoyed this post and found it to be very inspirational. I think it was just what I needed to hear today. I will often find myself complaining about how it seems that the house is never clean or how the dishes and laundry seem to constantly pile up, however I am so blessed to be able to be a stay at home mom and have all day to get these things done. I'm thankful that my house is a mess at times because the dirty dishes remind me we have food to eat, the toys all over remind me of my precious daughter and how lucky I am to have her. Again, this post was very uplifting, I really enjoy reading your blog. Keep up the good work and I look forward to reading more. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading my blog. Finding joy in everything has been hard for me too. It is so easy to feel overwhelmed and depressed. I have been working hard at changing my attitude but it will always be a work in progress.

      Delete
  2. Bridget3/28/2013

    I feel the same way, I will always remain a work in progress. I used to feel so bad if my house didn't stay partially clean. I would feel like people looked at me as a stay at home mom and thought what does she do all day that her house cannot be spotless. But now as my daughter gets over I just enjoy my time in the floor playing with her. I know she will look back and remember the quality time verses constant cleaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things do get better. Now that my oldest is 4 she helps me do a lot of cleaning. The more she does, the more allowance she earns. It has really helped with cleaning up the toys and the kitchen at night. I really enjoy spending that time cleaning with her.

      Delete