Monday, December 10, 2012

Christmas Crafts for Preschoolers: Mooseltoe



http://ww2.valdosta.edu/~knsmith/Mooseltoe.gif
 One of my favorite Christmas books is Mooseltoe by Margie Palatini. It's about a Moose that in the hustle and bustle of Christmas makes the mistake of forgetting to get a Christmas Tree. The idea of the perfect Christmas is sadly disappointing until he realizes that he can be the Christmas Tree for his children.

There are a few lessons that you can teach your kids (and remind yourself) from this book. The first is that a perfect Christmas is one you spend with your family. The memories you make are so much more important. The second lesson is that we need to slow down and enjoy Christmas instead of trying to do so much. Family and memories are again more important. 

After reading Mooseltoe, we decorated our own moose. I strung popcorn. Used some leftover beads as Christmas lights. Took apart some tree decorations Grandma gave the girls (they had already pulled most of it apart). I just looked for things I already had. My three and two year old had so much fun. It took some prep for me to get this activity ready, but it was so worth it to spend some time having fun with my girls.

What you need:
  •  Scissors
  • glue
  • odds and ends decorations for your moose (anything you can find just laying around the house)
  • popcorn
  • 6 pieces of brown construction paper
  • A moose 
    • I used 6 pieces of brown contruction paper and free handed my moose. 
      • 2 pieces for the head
      • 2 pieces for the moosetache
      • 2 pieces for the antlers





No comments:

Post a Comment