Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Decorating on a budget

Decorating has always been hard for me. I love a decorated house, don't get me wrong. I just hate walking out of a store paying way more than I wanted to. 
My mom has always been a big decorator and I my house is boring compared to hers. My mom has several tubs full of decorations and I have one. Half of it is hand me down Christmas odds and ends from my mom. After realizing that, this year I have decided that I need to decorate just a little more. I don't need 4 or more tubs full, but pieces I actually like and use.  
I started by pulling out things I had and reusing them in different ways. I can't spend much this year so I will use what I have first and see if I can get by spending a few dollars here and there to get my house festive.

Here are my tips on decorating for Christmas on a budget.

1. Don't over do it. Sometimes a few simple things is all you need. The houses in magazines may look nice but the cost to decorate for that photo is enough to purchase a new car. 

2. Your tree is your main decoration, make that the focus. It will be what your guests notice most. I picked blue and silver for my tree colors 7 years ago and have added to it since. We have an open floor plan so I try to stay with blue and silver with anything in that space.



3A little touch here and there is all you need. A scented candle in the bathroom will remind visitors of Christmas (sight isn't the only sense we have). Get seasonal dollar store towels for your kitchen. They may be cheap but they don't look too bad.




 4. Think small, not big. Add one thing every year or change something you already have. If your tired of that old wreath, take it apart and redo it. A trip to a craft store and a few dollars will make something look new again. 

5. Everyone loves holiday dishes. Instead of buying a whole set, (which you probably don't have space for anyway) get a few dishes for entertaining. A couple cookie plates or bowls are more than enough. They can also be used as decoration by hanging them on a wall or putting them on a shelf.

5. Craft stores like Hobby Lobby have all Christmas craft items on super clearance, often 70%, just before and right after Christmas. (I got Christmas balls for my tree one year for less than $1.00 for a pack of fourGet pieces that can be used in anything. The picture below is an example. It can be used in just about any craft project and will stand the test of time.  
Invest in a quality wreath. Hobby Lobby, JoAnne's, and Michaels are great places to get your wreaths or swags. They are much better quality than you can find anywhere else. They are also at least 50% off before and after Christmas. These will stand the test of time when you are continually pulling them apart and redoing them.



The most important thing to remember when you are decorating is to keep things simple for you. The more you have in decorations, the longer it will take every year to put up and take down. As a mom of three little ones, I don't have time to spend hours decorating my house. My goal is to just make my house inviting not overwhelming and not go in debt over it. Sometimes less is more.

No comments:

Post a Comment