Friday, April 19, 2013

Proverbs 31 Wife Devotional Book Review



10A wife of noble character who can find? 
She is worth far more than rubies.
11Her husband has full confidence in her
and lacks nothing of value.
12She bring him good, not harm,
 all the days of her life.   

Being a wife is hard, but when you strive to be a wife God wants you to be it becomes even harder. I love my husband and I love God, being the best wife I can be honors both

Over the past few years I am learning what it truly means to follow God. As our culture changes, I find myself having to go more and more against what is popular. I was not placed on this earth for others but for He who created us.

Proverbs 31 Wife Handbook takes time to look deeply into each verse in Proverbs 31, starting in verse 10, and help you understand how God designed wives to be. We all know that we aren't perfect and we will all make mistakes, but we should always strive to be a better wife for our husbands. 

My husband is far from perfect and I often fall pry to the idea that if he straightens up then I will too. This is the wrong attitude to have. Proverbs 31 Wife Handbook has reminded me over and over that I am responsible for my own behavior. God desires wives to be a certain way and it is my job to strive to be that person. I may influence my husband's behavior, I may not, but I will feel better about doing what I am called to do. 

In reading Proverbs 31 Wife Handbook I was also reminded that we, as wives, were created to be helpmates to our husbands. Does this mean we are to let our husbands control everything? No. I love how Lara describes it in Proverbs 31 Wife Handbook :

God gave us His Word to help us live our lives in a way that is not only pleasing to Him, but will help US to have happy, well balanced lives. Yes, being your husband’s, UNSELFISH protector, who cooperates with him, serves him, sides with him, goes to bat for him, saves him, snatches him from danger, and makes him healthy WILL make YOU happy.
Velez, L. (2004-07-14). Proverbs 31 Wife Handbook (The Proverbs 31 Woman) (Kindle Locations 260-262). AliBelle, LLC. Kindle Edition.  

That is what a helpmate does. They spend their time making sure that the other is cared for, supported, and safe. Being a helpmate is being there with him not behind him taking orders. We are not slaves but helpers. 

 I know have a long way to go to become a Proverbs 31 wife, but I will spend my time doing to best I possibly can. I loved this book and strongly recommend it to all wives and soon to be wives. It really gives a great insight to how God created wives to be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment