Tuesday, May 7, 2013

The Heart of a Child


  "I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." Mark 10: 15

Until I became a mom I never really understood what Jesus was trying to tell his disciples when he told them they needed to be like a child to enter the kingdom of heaven. As an adult I think it's so hard to comprehend. We deal with so much in our lives every day. We know evil and we know good. We know longer possess this childlike innocence.

The other night I told my girls I had bought blueberries for them. All three were jumping up and down and cheering. When is the last time you've seen an adult react like that. It is after all just blueberries and they get them at least once a month.

I believe that is what Jesus was trying to teach us. A child's heart is so pure that they are excited about anything. They have such a joy and excitement for things that they do everyday. There is an amazing passion and desire our kids possess that we don't understand.

We need to approach spending time with Jesus in the same way. We should not just be excited, but ecstatic about spending time with him. We should be jumping up and down unable to control our excitement. There should be smiles and desire on our faces. Our hands should be trembling with excitement as we open the Word of God and as we pray.

When we react as my kids did to blueberries, it gives God a satisfaction like I received knowing that I made my kids happy. The feeling I got watching my kids jump up and down with excitement is something I can't even describe. As a parent you feel such raw emotions towards your kids because you give them that joy and excitement by just saying yes. How would our relationship be with God if we could get excited about blueberries? We are his children after all. He cares and loves us more perfectly then I could ever love my kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment