Thursday, May 2, 2013

Am I a Good Mom?


I love being a mom to my three girls. I love them so much and enjoy spending time with them. Yet there are so many days where I want to break down and cry. I struggle with how to care for them and the decisions I have to make. There are so many days where I feel overwhelmed and am not sure where to turn.

This is so normal. I know that now. I struggle with different things with each of my kids. How do you handle a kid that wants to bite her sisters all the time? What do you do when a kid is having accidents after being potty trained for two years? What do you do when they seem to fight all the time. As I write this I have kids fighting and screaming over toys. It has been a though morning as my middle child seems to want to scream and cry over everything. 

My kids are far from perfect and I am far from perfect. I have struggled, do struggle, and will continue to struggle in my quest to be a good mom. 

I have learned a few things about myself and about being a mom:
  1. Trust yourself. Your instincts are usually correct. Don't let some expert decide what is best for your child, even doctors at times. If you suspect something is wrong with your child, you are probably right. You know your child better than anyone else. Doctors do the best in the short time they see your child but you see many things your doctor doesn't. Trust yourself first when it comes to the care of your child
  2. At the end of the day think about the best part of the day. Write it down even. When you think about those early years and how hard they may have been, you will have so many good memories to share if they are written down. I love this stage for so many reasons but I have many days where I want to cry. Remembering those good times during my day make it all worth it.
  3.  You are a good mom but you will make mistakes, daily. Try to learn from those mistakes. All you can do is your best.
  4.  Spend time praying for you kids. When I would be up in the middle of the night trying to get my youngest back to sleep, I would pray for my girls. It gave me a confidence and a feeling of not being alone. 
  5. It is ok to let your kids cry if you need to go to the bathroom, take a shower, or make dinner. My kids are 4, 2, and 1 and sometimes I just need to let them cry and whine so I can get things done.
Do you love your kids? Do you give them hugs and kisses and tell them that you love them? Do you feed them, clothe them, give them shelter and warmth? If you do then you are a good mom who sometimes makes mistakes. Since no on is perfect, we all make mistakes. You are a GOOD mom.  

No comments:

Post a Comment