Thursday, May 23, 2013

Flats and Hand Washing Challenge Day 4: Hand washing

flatschallenge2013header
Flats and Hand Washing Challenge hosted by Dirty Diaper Laundry
For one week I use only flat diapers and any accessories that can be used with it. All diapers are hand washed and hung to dry. 
 
This is a very interesting challenge because you are not only asked to use flat diapers and only flat diapers, but also hand wash everything. When I first signed up for this challenge I didn't think washing and drying would be too hard. I always hang them to dry on the clothes line this time of year. 
 
The challenge started out a little rough in the drying department as many I know have had a similar weather experience. Monday was raining, Tuesday was raining, Wednesday was raining, and finally today we had sun and a nice breeze. Monday and Tuesday I would hang the diapers out between rain showers so the excess water could drip on the grass instead of in my laundry room. Then I would bring the flats and covers in and hang them on the backs of chairs.
 
I now have established a very nice routine that has worked very well. I do about 4 diapers at a time. So I am washing every day for sure. My flats don't take long to wash and come out smelling clean. 
 
Covers are rinsed out with a little soap in this tub.
Flats are soaked in hot water, rinsed, soaked in hot water again. I do this 3 or 4 times. By then I smell no urine or poo.

Using my nice wash sink and wash board I scrub the diaper in homemade soapy water.

Takes about 10 minutes to scrub 4 diapers and wipes.


Today I finally got to hang them on the clothes line. My favorite thing about summer.

 I am very surprised at how easy it is to wash the diapers. I am thinking about changing up my washing some especially if I end up with just diapers at night within a few months. I may hand wash so that I don't have diapers sitting for a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment