My third session at Hearts at Home was called Raising Generations Who Raise Generations to Follow Christ presented by Dana Blomberg. It was a nice session but I didn't really feel like this was as beneficial as I thought it would be. Raised in a Christian home, being a Christian for most of my life, I knew most everything she all ready mentioned. I still feel like I should share with you as there may be moms and dads out their that don't know these principles.
5 Key Principles For Passing The Baton to Your Kids
- We need to teach proper respect and proper view of authority. Kids learn this by watching us. They will mirror our actions. If you want you child to be having daily devotions, then you need to have one as well.
- Teach them absolute truth. God's natural law is absolute. There are absolute consequences. (Fire burns, touching fire will burn you: absolute law and absolute consequences.) God's moral law is absolute. He gave us the 10 commandments as our moral guideline.
- Teach them the gospel: who God is, what is sin and what are the consequences, and how to respond to salvation.
- Teach your children how to pray. Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, Supplication (ACTS). Give them fill in the blank prayers, especially the young ones. (I'm sorry for . . .) (I'm Thankful for . . .)
- Teach them how to apply God's word to their life. They will learn to apply when they see you apply.