Monday, August 28, 2017

My Weight Loss Journey

I've tried before to lose weight with some success. I've counted calories and tried diet food and like most diets, it just didn't work. I'd lose a few pounds and then nothing. It was work and I was eating almost nothing. I was tired and miserable and HUNGRY!

I've started a new journey and whether I lose 2 pounds or 20, I feel good about what I am doing. A fellow mom I've gotten to know a bit over the past few years through our daughters, posted on Facebook one day about her struggle with weight. For some reason I had completely forgot that she is a trainer and the fact that she's struggled since her last baby has finally given me hope. I'm not alone in this.

I've spent most of my adult years fearing being overweight. One side of my family has many overweight aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents, and my mom. I've seen them all struggle, especially my mom, and I never wanted to have to deal with the ups and downs she has. I don't yo-yo as much as some but the fear of gaining too much weight brings me to a fear of eating. Where some eat when stressed, I don't and that's not any healthier.

I know it's going to be a lifelong struggle, as lifestyle changes aren't very easy. I just need to take things one day at a time and make small changes. So what kind of changes am I going to make?
  1. My goal is to exercise 5 days a week
  2. Use the group I'm in to feel encouraged and not alone
  3. Make better choices when we eat out even if it costs more (we are a dollar menu type family)
  4. Skip the chips at potlucks and grab a bunch of veggies and fruit
  5. Replace as much white processed food items with whole grains and sprouted bread
  6. Meal plan every meal and figure out when best to eat which food groups
  7. When I'm not feeling hungry but haven't eaten much, give myself a Shakeology
These are all a work in progress but I feel like even these small changes are worth making. I may eat more calories then I should from time to time but if at home I can maintain or lose weight by making healthy choices, I am victorious.

So where did I start? One year ago I was 160 lbs. At 5 feet tall, that puts me in the severely overweight category. Where do I want to be? If I can get to 120, eat healthy, and exercise regularly, I'll be at a place where I can maintain. Where am I now? I can't weigh myself daily or I get obsessed, but about 3 weeks ago I was at 148. The most exciting thing wasn't the two pounds I lost in a month but instead the inches. I lost 8.5 inches! Half was in my waist and hips. It may be slow but as long as it's going somewhere positive, I'm all in. 

I have to do this for me and my family, not the fear that's been chasing me my entire adult life.

No comments:

Post a Comment