Friday, January 18, 2013

Become a Survivor

"No one can make you into a victim; only you can do that . . . you can choose to be a survivor." --The Christmas Sweater by Glenn Beck

This quote has been weighing on my heart since I first read it. I knew I had to share it and my thoughts on it but I have been trying to figure out how to say what it on my heart without sounding like a know-it-all or offend people.

Let me first give a brief summary of the book it came from. The Christmas Sweater is about a young boy of twelve who is trying to deal with the pain of losing both his parents in a very short time. He is angry and doesn't know how to deal with his pain. Instead of feeling the pain and trying to live his life, he makes himself a victim and spends his days trying to hurt those who love him most. 

I have been thinking  for while about how we all will have to deal with tragedies and struggles where we will have to make the choices to become a victim or a survivor. Being a survivor is never easy and takes a lot of courage. It can be heartbreaking and devastating while making the choice to become a survivor. It doesn't happen overnight but through pain and then encouragement and support from others.

Survivors have a chance to make a difference in the lives of others. I have seen this in my life and am so inspired by those who have become a beacon of hope for those around them. I would love to hear your story and would invite you to be a guest blogger. It is so important to hear your stories and encourage each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment