Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Apologia Review

We are now in year 3 of Apologia science. If you have never checked them out, you need to. When asking other homeschool friends what they have used for science, most often the answer is Apologia.

Why is one of the more popular? Well I can't say for sure what others think but I can tell you what my top 5 reasons for loving this curriculum.
  1. Along with normal science, it teaches apologetics. Why is this important to us? Even though we believe in creationism, it is a theory. Apologia spends time showing where there is evidence for what the Bible says about the creation and animals.
  2. It is not dumbed down. For me this is super important. I hate curriculum that is a waste of my time and my kids time. It is written on a 6th grade level, but there are so many activities that younger kids can participate in. Because it is not dumbed down, my 3rd grader has a large vocabulary and a higher reading level partly due to reading her science book. My younger kids can also participate with their sister despite being a few grades lower.
  3. There are so many Try This sections that allow kids to gain a deeper understanding of topics that are being discussed. There is also an experiment at the end of each lesson that can be really fun.
  4. Because it is a popular curriculum choice, there are a lot choices in extras. Apologia has journals that go along with the books. For elementary you have one for the younger students and one for the older. The journals are packed full of fun activities. If your kids are more lapbook type kids check out Christian Book Distributors. We have purchased the lapbook for the Human Anatomy and Physiology rather then the journals. We always purchase the experiment kit you can get on Christian Book Distributors as well. It is worth the price so that I don't have to get a package of something just to use one item.
  5. It is so much fun! I never liked science in school (unless it had to do with math) but for some reason I love learning along with my kids. I can't even tell you why. Maybe they just pick much more interesting things for you to learn about.

There is no doubt we will continue to use Apologia as our science. We love it and all enjoy it!

If you use Apologia or have in the past, I'd love to hear what you think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment