Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Cookie Cutter Christmas

One of our favorite Christmas traditions is cut out cookies. It is usually the one thing besides decorating the tree that we do together. It takes most of the day to mix, cut, bake, decorate, and clean up but the memory makes it worth it.
This year I tried a new recipe I found through Pintrest. My husband loved it. It uses cake mix and since I know he loves Funfetti cake and cookies, I chose that cake mix.
 I of course had to make the cookies I have made every year and my mom made every year since I can remember. It's an old family recipe from one of those old church cookbooks sitting in my mom's kitchen. These are my all time favorites.
 So grab your kids, make some cookies and while you are at it, make some memories.


Cake Mix Cut-Out Cookies from Goodnessgracious.com
  • 1 Box Cake Mix
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1 Stick Slightly Softened Butter (Not Margarine or Light Butter)
  • 1 t Vanilla
Instructions
  1. Mix ingredients well.
  2. Chill dough for 2 hours (Edited to add: Freeze for one of those hours for best results).
  3. Roll out on floured surface and cut with cookie cutters.
  4. Decorate as desired.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes on a greased/lined cookie sheet

Old Fashioned Sugar Cookies

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup margarine
2 cups sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup sour cream
5 cups flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp vanilla

Cream shortening and sugar. Add beaten eggs and vanilla to sour cream. Sift flour, baking powder, salt and soda; add alternately with liquid to creamed mixture. Chill thoroughly. Roll out and cut. Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes.

(Any dough you are not using, put back in the refrigerator. Keep it chilled for best results.)


Frosting from Allrecipes.com

  • In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, confectioners' sugar, and milk until light and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes. Beat in the vanilla and food coloring. Spread on or between cookies.









No comments:

Post a Comment